Monday, May 11, 2009

*Warning: When I wrote this, I had taken a few benadryl and the effects are obvious as this post is quite...cheesy.*

Ok, kids, here is a short romantic love story. You ready?

Damsel in distress finds her knight in shining armor out in the field for three days. She is eagerly awaiting his return on Friday night, only to be told "one more hour." And then, "one more hour." Yet another "soon, one more hour, still have work to do." Saddened, she heads to bed knowing the next day will be spent at work, and needs her beauty rest. But she cannot sleep, not wanting to drift off before at least saying hi to her love. Finally, he arrives home (quite late) and she cannot contain her excitement and gives him a big hug and kiss. And they lived happily ever after. No...wait...back up. Story ends with her catching something so horrible...so painful...so..."itchy"...so...odd...so...poison ivy. Thank you, Mr. Knight.


So yeah, after playing in the field all week, I should have known better to not even touch Nick before he showered. Instead, I somehow came in contact with his camis that had the poison ivy on them. Actually, I have no hard evidence of this but its the only explanation I can think of. I went to bed Friday night perfectly fine and woke up Saturday morning with a horrible nasty, itchy rash on the side of my neck. I thought nothing of it-maybe I simply scratched myself during the night? I headed to work and noticed as the hours passed, the rash spread. And really started to itch. And turned bright red. Being the worry-wart and dramatic person I am (and having no history or knowledge of poison ivy), thought I could possibly have the flesh eating virus. I stood in the bathroom staring at my appendages, waiting for the next rash to show up and kicking myself for never making a will. I became quite alarmed. Thankfully, my co-workers calmed me down and explained that it most definitely was poison ivy and easily treatable. Sigh of relief. I was going to be ok. But not before being humiliated.

Saturday was also my company's annual baby reunion where the families who have overcome infertility and have given birth, join in a big celebration. A beautiful hotel, lots of gourmet food, and games for the kids. The children loved the clowns but didn't expect a freak show, starring: me. My rash was obvious at this point and since my hair was pulled back, the whole world could see my new deformity. Talking to families was incredibly embarrassing and I wanted to hide under a rock. Just my luck, on all days of the year.


Now before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I did not take this picture while driving. I know how dangerous that can be. I was stopped at a light...and got quite a few stares from the people next to me.

These pictures don't do it justice. Looks like a small rash but man did it hurt. And these were taken Saturday afternoon. You should have seen it Saturday night. My entire neck was red and I was on the verge of hyperventilating.


Well, enough pity party for me. Thankfully, Ken and Amanda were not too appalled at my poison ivy and we spent Saturday night saying our goodbyes. Background: Amanda was one of my roommates in college and actually introduced Nick and I. She has always been an awesome friend. Heck, she flew in all the way from Germany for my bachlorette party and surprised me. Ken is a Captain in the Air Force and he was stationed here in Quantico for the last 9 months to attend EWS (a type of school). The movers come today as they prepare for their next destination in Florida. I know I'll see her again but goodbyes are never easy. I wish them all the best. We will miss you!

Such a HORRIBLE picture of me. It should be in the Guiness Book of World Records next to the caption "Woman with the largest face." Ugh.

4 comments:

Steph said...

OMG - you have me cracking up!!! You are too funny!!!

I really hope you feel better soon!!!

Anonymous said...

I was laughing so hard Jim had a hard time understanding me as I was reading him this story!!! Thankfully it only lasts a few days (not that that is worth much when you want to scratch your face off!!)

Thankfully after waiting all week and hours--you didn't get it on anywhere more 'sensitive'-- ;)

mandy

Tina said...

Awesome story, except the poison ivy stuff. It really didn't look too bad and the kids didn't think anything of it!!

Crazy Love said...

You are so funny..you don't look bad at all!! I am so sorry you got it though!! That sucks!!

The thing the hospital does sounds really cool. What an awesome thing to be a part of!

I know what you're thinking.  Whoa, Laura.  Less than six months between updates.  Big deal.  Even though I have nothing too earth shat...