Monday, March 11, 2019

I know what you're thinking.  Whoa, Laura.  Less than six months between updates.  Big deal.  Even though I have nothing too earth shattering to share with this update, I figured I would dive a little deeper into the daily lives of the kids.  Because right now, raising them is pretty fun.  Love this life.

And I love this life mainly because of a good group of friends I've surrounded myself with since we moved here.  I'm sure many people look at the military lifestyle and feel pity for those of us who move around so much and have to struggle to find friends. Let me tell you, its the complete opposite.  Best part of being a military spouse is the ability to immediately make friends at a new duty station.  Why? Because we are all in this together.  We get it.  We are here for each other, without a second thought.  For the past 12 years of being married into the Marine Corps, every move has brought forth amazing friends from all walks of life.  I've learned so much from every single woman I've met.  My life is very, very full when it comes to friends.  

Same situation here in Colorado Springs.  Our street is full of moms (few pictured below) of military spouses, with young kids, who hold the same ideals and values as I do.  Instant connection.  The other friends I've made here (not pictured) I've trusted with my kids.  They've trusted me with their kids.  Its the best community I've ever experienced and this lifestyle will be one of my most rewarding experiences.


That was a tad off track.  Back to the kids.  Ethan and Elle are still best buds during the day.  In the fall, they did gymnastics, basketball and soccer.  We switched this winter to dance for Elle, who has proven to be a free spirit on the dance floor. Her recital should be hilarious.  


We love our local YMCA. We are there at least twice a week.  Ethan and Elle took swim lessons and this is still one of their most favored sports.  


Ethan has also started Taekwondo and I wish I had a picture because he is showing so much passion with this sport.  Four times a week, and he loves every second. 



Audrey continued with basketball this season.  After a few games of her being quite submissive and almost afraid of touching the ball, I had to sit her down and have a talk.  Be aggressive, don't worry about hurting people's feeling, TOUCH the ball as much as you can.  Something clicked and a complete 180 occurred.  Since that talk, every game included multiple steals, fast breaks and shots.  I'm pretty proud of the pep talk I gave her; the other parents asked me to give it their kids, ha.


This past fall, I agreed to be a Girl Scout leader and its been quite the adventure leading a large group of 3rd and 4th grade girls.  I've learned so much, and I truly enjoy teaching and encouraging kids.  Audrey just finished cookie sales and was incredibly outgoing during her door to door sales.  



This past weekend, we stayed local, which may have been a first.  We usually check off a Colorado bucket list on the weekend, but with avalanche warnings and events, we stayed put.  This gave Nick the chance to create a supreme scavenger hunt for the kids.  Four clues, four stops, four hidden treasures.  He impresses me every day with his creativity.  




Last weekend, I ran a half marathon. The temp was 1.  The entire route was covered with ice and slush.  And I was at 5200 ft. elevation.  No joke.  I finished at 2:10, and even though my sub 2 streak ended, the conditions made this time respectable.  I could have sat out and stayed home like so many other runners.  I didn't want the shirt or the medal.  I wanted to get out there and do it.  Prove to myself and NIck and the kids I could finish something physically demanding.  

While i may have the physical part down, I'm now concentrating on the mental part of my well being.  I've got big plans for myself and future goals (professionally) in the next few months and I'm so darn excited!

1 comment:

Shirley B. said...

Laura, I love your "story" of your life. Keep writing, I will keep reading....

I know what you're thinking.  Whoa, Laura.  Less than six months between updates.  Big deal.  Even though I have nothing too earth shat...