I think its safe to say the reason so much time has passed from my last blog post is because Colorado is simply amazing. Little time to blog. And "simply amazing" would be understatement. Holy cow is this state beyond anything I could have ever imagined. We are always on the go...exploring, hiking...spending SO MUCH time outside. I don't think we can see and do it all in three years. I add a place or experience to our Colorado bucket list every day. I'm fully prepared to go into a major depression when we have to leave in a little over two years. We cannot get enough.
As I uploaded pictures from the last few months, I realized this post would be annoyingly long. So I picked a few. I could have added a hundred.
Royal Gorge. This was a day trip from The Springs and did not disappoint. The heights were daunting but the views were stunning.
We celebrated birthdays. First time in a very long time I did not make Nick's cake. This was from a local place called Nothing Bundt Cakes. Love how Ethan is eyeing Elle to make sure he has first dibs.
Audrey sang "The Star Spangled Banner" with her school's choir at an Air Force Academy football game. Great experience, but coming from a school with an SEC football team, the Air Force's stadium seemed extremely tiny! The flyover, however, was legit.
For this year's Halloween, I could not convince any of the kids to wear a cheerful costume. Spooky all around. Nick was traveling so we walked the streets with local friends. Elle's costume dragged on the ground and was extremely dirty by the end of the night. Since it was a homemade costume from a bedsheet, I tossed it. She often asks about her ghost costume. I didn't have the heart to tell her, so its "stored away."
One of my most favorite nights of the year. Even more so now that we are not stationed near a Marine Corps base. I love Colorado, but how I miss the Marine Corps community. This year's birthday ball was held at Cheyenne Mountain Resort and may be the only time I get to sit at the head table next to the guest of honor.
A twenty eight hour round trip road trip to Houston was how we spent our Christmas break. Three years had passed since we last visited Texas, so it was due time. We got to visit family, and see my Grandma, the only remaining great grandparent for my kids.
One of the biggest reasons we chose Colorado over Hawaii was the skiing. We wanted the kids to learn and experience the sport, and couldn't wait to hit some world class slopes. Thanks to the Epic Pass ($99 unlimited skiing for the entire season!) we've since skied Monarch, Keystone, and Breckenridge. This was in Keystone, which I loved even more than Breckenridge because the views could not be beat.
Skiing is coming very easily and naturally to Audrey. She is very serious on the slopes. Ethan and Elle both seem to enjoy it but I think frustration sets in a lot sooner with those two. They still agree to go, and still put forth the effort, but I'd say next year will be a lot easier.
Nick has travelled a bit over the last few months but that doesn't stop the kids and I from exploring on our own. This was a random stop at Red Rock Canyon Open Space. One of my favorite things about exploring in Colorado (compared to Virginia) is that we don't have to worry about snakes or poison ivy. Mountain lions and bear, yes.
Ah, one of our most recent trips. Rocky Mountain National Park. I will tell you the drive through to Hidden Valley to go sledding held the most stunning views I have ever seen in my life. No lie. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. The mountains really speak to me. This is where I'm supposed to be.
The temps were in the teens. There was snow on the ground, but these kids didn't complain once. They hiked and trudged to places unknown. I want Colorado to make them love being outdoors, and I think its working.




No comments:
Post a Comment