Tuesday, July 31, 2018


Yes, we are still alive.  Yes, we made it to Colorado.  Sorry, blog world.  The transition was long and challenging and stressful hence the lack of updates.  But, I would do the last six crazy weeks all over again if it meant our end point was Colorado Springs.  I was worried we would arrive and I would be that weird lone person who didn't like the Springs but boy was that apprehension a waste of thought. This place is perfect in every way.  I could write for days on the pros of living in Colorado.  I never want to leave.  Ever.  I lay in bed at night and ponder how important a pension really is, because these next three years are going to fly by.

I had every intention of jumping on here, writing one or two sentences, then closing out the computer and accomplishing more tasks.  But, just like in person, I can't stop talking - writing - my brain and mouth have been in overdrive since arriving.  I'll start with our last few days in Virginia, specifically on Barrington.

Leaving Barrington was one of the hardest transitions.  This street was magical, and I'm not sure if another street exists.  Our neighbors became friends, good friends, and I miss seeing them all on a daily basis.  Such good people who genuinely cared about our family and I miss them something fierce.




I'm not going to lie, I cried pretty  hard driving away from this home.  We all grew so attached in just two years time and this home will always, always hold a special place in my heart.  


We woke the kids up early to start the 1,700 mile trek west. Some stretches were more tiring than others.  Nick and I would switch carseats and kids and the other driver would get a break for that day, which was a sanity saver.  The first day we crammed in 11.5 hours and only 20 minutes of that the kids had access to  an electronic device.  The questions never stopped and although they don't look happy in this early morning picture, they did awesome and enjoyed the hotel stays, trips along the way, and hotel pool swimming every night. 


Our trip included a stop in Columbus, OH followed by Indianapolis, St. Louis, Fort Leavenworth, Hays, Kansas and finally Colorado Springs.  


By far, the coolest portion of our trip was the City Museum in St. Louis.  600,000 square feet of the most abstract playground I've ever seen.  


We arrived and have been blown away with Colorado. I even looked up the retirement tax laws because Nick and I can see ourselves living here after the Marine Corps.  Its that great.  


The next day, Audrey turned 8.  Pretty cool to move to a new state and celebrate your birthday!  She opened presents in an empty house, and has been an absolute trooper with the entire move and transition. No tears, no anxiety, no fear.  We don't even know which school she will be attending (thats an entirely different post) but she is taking it all in stride.  Very proud of her resiliency.  




So far, after being in the Springs for 16 days we've unpacked our entire home, visited Manitou Springs and the Penny Arcade, hiked Garden of the Gods, visited the Cheyenne Zoo, hiked the Silver Cascade Falls, and met a few new friends.  







We have three years here but I want to do and see everything NOW. Trying to be patient.  Thanking my lucky stars, the Marine Corps, and Nick (for getting this cool assignment) for having the opportunity to live in Colorado Springs for three glorious years.  








1 comment:

Karen H. said...

I'm sorry that it was such a long and difficult transition. It is always so tough to leave a place you love. However, I am SO happy that Colorado Springs is agreeing with you. LOVE the pictures. :)

I know what you're thinking.  Whoa, Laura.  Less than six months between updates.  Big deal.  Even though I have nothing too earth shat...