Friday, August 5, 2011

Welcome to my bubble. Let me take you on a tour.

We live on base housing, which in my opinion, is pretty darn awesome. First time visitors are always blown away by our house because in the past, base housing meant concrete walls and just the bare necessities. Here is our house for those of you who have never visited (hint! hint!).

And this is our neighborhood, taken on a cold winter day. But hopefully you can sense the comfort and peace in this picturesque community.

Now back to my bubble. Our neighborhood has roughly 100 houses (I'm a horrible estimator) and are all Marine Corps officers, with the exception of a handful of international officers. With EWS starting, this means the majority of the neighborhood dads leave for work at the same time. They wear the same outfit (camis). They usually come home at the same time. Does this remind you of the movie Pleasantville? 95% of the moms are stay at home moms and our neighborhood is filled to the brim with kids ranging from the newborn to the teenagers. Needless to say, Audrey never lacks in the playdate department.

Because we are all military families, we have a lot in common. Most of us have the same beliefs and values. I remember years ago a family friend told Nick and I how this will be the best time in Nick's military career because no where else will you find yourself surrounded by people your own age in such a large setting. He was right. Where else can you leave your door unlocked, let your kids run free, walk your dog and stop 15 times to talk to people you know?

My point? We have 10 months left in my bubble and I'm going to try to soak up every second of it because I know too soon we will have to move and join the real world where Nick works longer days and deployments are the talk of the town. I'm not ready for that. I've been spoiled these last 3.5 years in Quantico but they have been the best 3.5 years yet, no doubt.

So ok, no real point to this post. I was thinking of all this yesterday and realized I need to be thankful every day for what I have. And I am. So very, very thankful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true! here's to enjoying the next couple of months we have left here, if October doesn't kill us first :0)
-Beka

Karen said...

I miss the bubble so much. So much. I never lived on base but our apartment community (all townhomes) at Ft. Drum was all junior grade officers. It was such a fun environment.

The Collins Family said...

Oh, we've been spoiled in OK and here as well!! I want my bubble to last forever too. Also, since I've been in the habit of locking our doors in OK, even while home (just didn't feel as safe with everything unlocked because we didn't know our neighbor's at all), it's weird to think any other way at this point (til i forget my keys)!

Becki Moore said...

This is so cool.. You will miss it but what perfect timing to have lived in this bubble for Audrey's 1st years of life!

I know what you're thinking.  Whoa, Laura.  Less than six months between updates.  Big deal.  Even though I have nothing too earth shat...