Friday, January 20, 2012

Maybe its because I'm getting older (and thus smarter, right?). Or maybe its because I now have a daughter of my own. But being back in Texas for six days made me realize two things: 1) family is everything and 2) there is no place like home.

Being back in Texas feels so...comfortable. I almost feel like a different person, its hard to explain. Its home. Plain and simple. One of the last days I was there, my mom and I were driving to an outlet mall and she said something along the lines of: "It feels so natural to have you here, just shopping on a random day." That made me happy and also confirmed my latest decision about duty stations and why we chose it: to be closer to family.

So here is a quick recap with the few pictures that I did manage to snap. My mom and I ventured out to Old Town Spring where I made a beeline for The Texas Store. I would have spent tons more time and money there but having a toddler with flailing arms around glass objects caused me to make a beeline for the exit in record time.

Peanut butter and jelly. Macaroni and cheese. Blue Bell ice cream and Texas. You simply can't live in Texas and not enjoy the best ice cream in the nation (biased opinion, of course). Audrey couldn't fiddle with a spoon and dove right in. She makes me proud.

In a previous blog post, I think I mentioned how quickly Audrey warms up to her cousins even though she doesn't see them very often and this trip proved no different. They are super with each other!

Nothing like a night at Chuck E Cheese to expel all of that energy kids seem to possess. Here are my brother, sister and I and all of our kids. Everyone says my sister and I look alike, but I honestly don't see it.

We took advantage of Houston's awesome weather by trying out a new park and Audrey didn't hesitate to break in the new slides.

And this last picture proves we have a little Miss Independent developing. She wasn't too happy about being in the baby swing.





2 comments:

Karen said...

I completely agree about home. Have you publicly stated where your next duty station will be? Or are you still in the planning stages?

Tina said...

I think you and your sister do look alike. You have very similar eyes! Being home is great and I'm so happy you are coming to the next duty station with us!

I know what you're thinking.  Whoa, Laura.  Less than six months between updates.  Big deal.  Even though I have nothing too earth shat...