Tuesday, January 31, 2012

So...where was I? Cupcakes? Ah, yes. I would have updated earlier but Nick and I were a bit preoccupied last week after we were attacked by a spiteful stomach bug. I didn't have it nearly as bad as Nick, with him missing his first day of work ever, but I barely moved all day from the extreme nausea. Thankfully, it only lasted 24 hours, enough time to do its work and move on.

So these were the cupcakes I made since my last blog post. While I still need lots of practice, I think they turned out ok. And even though presentation is everything, these things tasted pretty darn good as well. But...no one really ate them and after Nick and I had to abandon the kitchen while fighting our bug, these were left on the counter overnight, turned rock hard, and were promptly thrown in the trash. Discouraging. I wish I had people to bake for to get in tons more practice because let's face it, Nick and I can't eat all my future creations by ourselves. And while I have so much fun decorating and baking, I simply can't fathom throwing away demo after demo. Good thing there are some awesome themed holidays coming up where I can experiment some more and drop them off at various friend's houses.


So in between us being sick, me being pooped on by a bird, getting a good 3 inches whacked off my hair where I now resemble a tomboy, and Audrey's feet growing to enormous sizes...

Nick and I managed to get gussied up again for an artillery formal last Friday. And yes, that is the same dress I wore just a couple months ago for the ball but thats for two reasons: 1.) its nearly impossible to do serious gown shopping with a toddler and 2.) reason 1 is good enough. This was my first St. Barbara's Day Formal (did you know artillery has a patron saint that is dedicated to their mission and specialty?) and we had a nice time chatting, eating, and listening to some speeches. But the best part of the night involved Nick transforming from this stunning gentleman in dress blues....

...to this. Oh My. Nick was chosen to be in a skit and had to parade around in these shorts for about 15 minutes in front of his peers and superiors. Everyone had a good laugh (Marines can let loose after all) including me where I just shook my head.


4 comments:

Tina said...

Just bake and bake and bake your heart away...then give away the yummy goodness! Our house volunteers to be your testers. We'll even fill out comment cards, LOL!

Shawn Meier said...

i have 4 folks right here who would LOVE to be testers :0)

diana said...

The cupcakes look great! I like the edible pearls on the yellow ones. I am glad you are feeling better! I love you so much!

Barbara Jasek said...

I was able to view, thanks. And the cupcakes look good!!

I know what you're thinking.  Whoa, Laura.  Less than six months between updates.  Big deal.  Even though I have nothing too earth shat...