Ok, before I throw this computer out the window due it housing the world's slowest internet connection (such is beach life), I will try to briefly recap our Grand Canyon trip.
Our first stop was In-N-Out. For all you non-west coasters, this is quite possibly the best hamburger joint around.
We then drove about 4 hours to the Grand Canyon, hooked Audrey up to her backpack (running, fearless toddler + steep cliffs = dorky backpack) and took in the breathtaking beauty of this natural wonder.
I guess it was dress like a Dreamsicle Day for the Whitefields. All the pink and cream was totally not coordinated.
And here is a great family photo.
After roughly 5 hours of sleep, we woke at 3am to get started on our hike. Audrey was a champ with so little sleep. Side note here: Audrey didn't hike (that would have been impossible). She partied in the rented mini vans with the awesome women of the group who volunteered to be mules.
This was the first pit stop where everyone was still smiling.
Here is Nick crossing the Colorado River.
This was taken at the bottom of the Grand Canyon where the temps were rising and I was beginning to realize people didn't do this for fun.
After around 22 miles and 12 hours later, we all popped up at the North Rim, grabbed a few celebratory drinks, and proceeded to compare how much dirt and grim we had accumulated while hiking.
I'm still in complete awe that we were able to hike all the way down the canyon, across, and back up. The back up is what I can't believe.
So the first hike was the South to North Rim. We rested for a day in these cute log cabins:
...and the second hike was from the North to South Rim. Nick's mom and I took turns being a "mule" which basically means driving 4 hours around the canyon with all the hikers luggage. So the first day, I hiked while she acted as mule and the second hike we switched. Driving around the Grand Canyon allowed me and the other mules to see some amazing sights, such as the Balancing Rock and the Painted Desert.
Now, here is where things got tricky. The second hike was supposed to be the easier hike. Even though it was three more miles (24 total) it consisted of about 1,500 less elevation. But temperatures ended up reaching well into the 100s, with (I believe) head index around 120. Last year, this same hike took 12 hours. This year, it took them close to 19. Some of that had to do with the extreme heat, but some of it also had to do with the fact that Nick, his sisters, and Father Clint stayed behind to help a fellow hiker and friend who was suffering from heat exhaustion. He was in very bad shape. Without them, he would not have made it out that night. I know its super dorky, but I'm really proud of these guys.
The Rim to Rim Challenge was an amazing experience. Would I recommend it to someone? Definitely, but only if they are in SUPER physical shape. As we found out pretty quickly, once you get down to the bottom, there is no way out but walking. No medical crews, no mules, nothing to rescue you. Only if you are in a life threatening situation will they send a helicopter. Thats what was so scary (to me, at least). And while I do apologize for all the huffing and puffing I did at hour 11.50, I can honestly look back and say this trip was full of fabulous memories.
And now we are officially North Carolina beach residents. But thats a whole other blog post.




No comments:
Post a Comment