Sunday, August 10, 2014

Audrey is perched behind me on top of the chair, brushing my hair.  This is so relaxing.  I know she is making knots and it hurts like heck, but I'm not stopping her.  

Its been raining in Jacksonville, NC for approximately two weeks.  Now I know how people in London and Seattle feel.  We've attempted the pool many times and been kicked out because of thunder and lightning.  I've resorted to running, in the pouring rain, with a cover on the stroller just because there is no other way around this crummy weather. 

But the one day that was manageable for the lawn maintenance guys to do their job, Audrey and Ethan sat by the front door to watch.


Last Saturday, again a wash out day, we headed to the Children's Museum in Wilmington, along with every other family in a 100 mile radius.  Chaos.  Not the best museum but we've got slim pickings around here.  Nick dressed Ethan up as a pirate:


And he made his current face:  the bulldog face.  Its a snorting, nose squished kinda face thats pretty funny.  And these two blurry pictures remind me again why an iPhone really does not take the place of a real camera. 


I do a co-op every Tuesday with some friends and last week we used one of Audrey's birthday presents and did some shrinky dinks.  I guess this is a throwback to my generation's early childhood, but I don't remember them.  So needless to say, I had a good time working on them and squealed with just as much delight as these 4 year olds when they started shrinking in the oven.  


Moving on.   I love living on a military base.  I often take advantage of, or more like forget about, the awesome sights that I encounter on a daily basis that would be jaw dropping to someone not used to this lifestyle.  Like driving to the beach and having to stop to let lots of rifle holding Marines cross the street.  


And then arrive at the beach and see 5 tanks roaring down the street.


And then a mere 24 hours later, witness 4,000 Marines participate in a change of command.  Nick was one of the 4,000 Marines marching so we went out there for moral support.  


Nick is first line, second guy over from the top.  He's the one wearing the belt with the gun visible.  But all of these things are common while living on a Marine Corps base.  And I love it.  Every second of it.  And call me a nerd, but I still get goosebumps every time I hear the Marine Corps hymn.  


Audrey has a pen pal!  In Nevada.  This is a friend that I haven't seen in 7+ years, one of the first wives I met in 29 Palms, and we still stay in contact.  And oh my gosh doesn't my floor look so neat and tidy?  Nick says when he gets home in the evenings, he just follows the trail of destruction to where we are.  


Ethan is sporting this new outfit that great Aunt Patrice sent us when he was first born.  Him and Nick were both matching this day and this face, this sweet face, makes me smile.



My hair is wrapped around a brush.  Scissors will probably be required so thats my Que to go.

No comments:

I know what you're thinking.  Whoa, Laura.  Less than six months between updates.  Big deal.  Even though I have nothing too earth shat...