Thursday, March 2, 2017

If I tried to go back and recap the last five months that I've neglected on this blog, it would be picture overload.  Looks like I didn't get birthdays, Halloween, Thanksgiving, ball, our 10 year anniversary, or Christmas.  I'm obviously an overachiever.  I'm giving up candy and sugar for Lent, yet updating this blog is another item I tend to do better at during the season.

I will share a few pictures from random occasions. Lately, I've been a little emotional about how fast my kids are growing, how quickly each milestone is met, and how precious yet limited these days are with little kids running around.  I wish I could go back to 2010 when I was pregnant with Audrey, relive these past 6  years, then relive them over and over and over again.  

Our days consist of lots of park visits, and sometimes Nick surprises us at the last minute.  This was at the Marine Corps Museum park, one we visit frequently after picking up Audrey from school to let all their energy out.  



Its nice to have daddy at the park for emergencies like these.  


I will jump in here and mention a big moment from my life that occurred recently.  I could write about it for hours on end, both the physical and emotional toll it took on me over the month of February because it consumed me.  On February 1st, I received a call from my OB saying an ultrasound found a complex ovarian cyst on my left ovary.  Being the overly anxious person I am, I googled this as I didn't know too much about this type of cyst.  I know I shouldn't have, and I know Google isn't your friend when it comes to health issues, but I wanted to be armed with information.  Unfortunately, Google didn't have many good things to say about complex ovarian cysts.  I was immediately burdened with the threat that this could potentially be a malignant cyst.  My mind raced, my heart raced, but all I could think about were my three small kids, and them growing up without a mother.  This situation was torture for me.  Torture for anyone who has to go through this waiting and the unknown.  I cried, I curled up in the fetal position, I worried, I cried more, I panicked, I was depressed.  I wanted this thing out of me, and now.  While my tumor markers came back in the normal range, Dr. Thott still recommend surgery to remove the entire ovary along with the cyst.  Since we are done having kids, sadly, I agreed and surgery was set for Wednesday, February 15th.  The surgery itself was easy, as general anesthetic was involved, and the only picture we have from that day is when Nick attempted to put my hair in a pony tail and it ended up being a sweet side pony:


Gaga flew out for five days to help me with the recovery.  I'm incredibly grateful she could drop everything and fly out on a moment's notice.  I could not have recovered so easily without her help with the kids and house, and without her calming me down when my anxiety sent me over the edge.  

A week after surgery, February 22, I called the doctor's office to see if the pathology results were in because every second waiting was pure torture.  Praise the Lord Almighty, the cyst was benign.  I crumbled when I heard the news.  Cried.  Then, I packed everyone in the car, we picked Audrey up from school, and we went to church where I kneeled and prayed.  


This entire ordeal was a  humbling experience.  I've never been so scared in my life.  Waiting for results to say if you have cancer, changes you.  I have a little more appreciation for every day things, for life.  I never want to go back to that sad, sad place i was in for three long weeks and I'm thankful and blessed for every day that my family is healthy.  


Now that I can breath a huge sigh of relief, life goes on as normal.  Such as really cold winter days that force you to stay inside and burn energy.  I've said it before, but Audrey is so naturally athletic that keeping an 8 minute/mile pace at an incline is like a walk in the park for her.  


Ethan is a wild three year old little boy.  He tests my patience every single day, but always ends with an "I love you" and lots of hugs and kisses.  He loves gymnastics with Ms. Sandra.  He attend the MOPS nursery on Tuesdays, story time at the Quantico Library on Fridays, and lots of park and playdates in between.


He loves trucks and cars so much so that we decided when Monster Jam came to DC, it would be an event he would remember forever.  We were proven wrong when he fell asleep during the extremely loud performance.  Boy can sleep anywhere like his father.  


We left early but were pleasantly surprised to walk out of the Verizon Center directly into a Chinese New Year parade.  Love being in the heart of the city and surrounded by activity.  


And my Squishy.  Or, squanty, as Ethan calls her. They say kids who have nicknames are loved and therefore I'd say Elle is extremely loved.  Nick calls her Kadush and no one really knows why.  I'll be honest, in the first few months of her life, I had a bit of name regret.  Did we give her the right name? Is Elle too short?  Is it too much of a nickname?  Does she need a more formal name?  I struggled with this for a while, but now, she is our Elle and her name fits her perfectly.  Her short, simple name balances her crazy and loud personality.  She is a ham and we think will be the craziest one out of them all. 


She has these beautiful almond eyes that on some rare days, actually appear big and round.  At almost 18 months, she is saying mama, dada, trash, uh-oh, please, thank you.  She knows what sounds a snake, dog and cow make.  She loves to give kisses and will tackle her brother unknowingly.  


She cracks me up.


 Our weekends as of late have included home projects which never seem to end.  I love this picture of Nick and Elle changing out the bathroom fixtures.  She wanted nothing more than to be in her daddy's lap.



We only received a small amount of snow this winter, but while beautiful, I'm not complaining with the scarcity of it.  



We are currently wrapping up Girl Scout cookie season and Audrey proved herself to be an extrovert.  She was adamant about selling as many as possible and made sure she achieved her goal.  


She loves school, and a superb report card resulted in her very first pedicure.  Love this girl, who I fear may be taller than me sooner than expected!




No comments:

I know what you're thinking.  Whoa, Laura.  Less than six months between updates.  Big deal.  Even though I have nothing too earth shat...