Sunday, May 8, 2011


Well, my first official Mother's Day was pretty grand. And by grand, I mean there was lots of food involved. I woke up and lazily turned over to notice the baby monitor was missing from my nightstand, which immediately woke me from my slumber. I soon realized my two loves were downstairs busy cooking up a Mother's Day breakfast as my nose caught wind of sausage, eggs, and banana pancakes. Delicious. But by 8am I was so stuffed all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and drift off into a food coma.

But we mustered up some strength and headed outside to work on our upper body strength. Someone is pretty strong, showing off her skills in the pull up department.

So while I was busy digesting my calorie-laden breakfast, I began to wonder if having a maternal instinct is innate or learned (this is what you think about when you can't move off the couch). Now that I'm a mom, I often look back to my childhood and the type of mom I had, and I can't help but argue that its learned. I had a great role model growing up and I truly believe this is where I get my ability to be a mom to Audrey. So this is a huge shout out to you mom, thanks for everything you did and continue to do. I realize now all the sacrifices you made, the tough choices, the late nights, the early mornings, the unconditional love. I'm so blessed to call you my mom.

Here she is with Audrey when she was less than a week old (Audrey, not my mom). Note to self: keep my next baby swaddled more. Those tiny feet should be covered!

Yesterday, I watched the movie, Life As We Know It, about a baby whose parent's do not survive a car accident. Sounds morbid, but its actually a comedy yet I somehow spent the majority of it in tears because the baby actor looked SO much like Audrey. That movie was so eye opening for me, because I know how much Audrey needs me right now, but boy oh boy, I think I need her just as much. When they say you have never experienced a love you have for a child until you become a mother, they (whoever they are) are right. Gosh, I had no idea I could love like this. I'm soaking up every second, I love how I love her.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you out there. Its not an easy job, thats for sure, but its one of the most rewarding.

No comments:

I know what you're thinking.  Whoa, Laura.  Less than six months between updates.  Big deal.  Even though I have nothing too earth shat...