Friday, August 19, 2011

Have you ever heard the saying there are three things you don't talk about in group conversation, especially involving people you don't know particularly well? They are 1.) politics 2.) religion and 3.) money. All three tend to be very debatable topics and can lead to some very passionate arguing.

So I will just briefly touch on a few topics that are pretty important in our lives right now, because when I look back at this blog years from now, I will be reminded of what the current events were. Kinda like a time capsule.

Rick Perry announced his run for President last week and I couldn't be more thrilled. A 1972 graduate from Texas A&M and a Corps of Cadets member, I feel like he will represent my college alma mater magnificently and my heart is bursting with pride. I have a bit more research to do to become fully educated on where he stands on certain issues, but I'm excited to see how this plays out during the next year.

Onto another topic that has left a bad taste in my mouth for the last few days. The government is considering cutting military pensions for those who serve 20 or more years in the military. This is absolutely absurd and I feel my blood boiling just writing about it. Receiving a pension was probably the biggest pro to Nick making the Marine Corps a career, as I'm sure a lot of people as well. Retiring at 42 with an annual salary that is half of your highest annual salary every year until you pass? An amazing deal after putting your life on the line multiple times, moving every three years, being away from family, and um...protecting your country. And now this may be scraped because we have a government that cannot balance the budget. Frankly, its disgusting to think that Congress members can serve one term, yet they will still be eligible for pensions. Cut their pensions as well if you want to save money, not just the military. This is going to backfire on our "leaders" right now. An all volunteer force will quickly dwindle without such benefits and I can see the draft coming back. Right now, I personally think our government is corrupt.

Ok, off my soap box. I will leave you on a Friday with something a bit more light hearted. Like a picture of a clean naked baby. What more could you ask for?

I know what you're thinking.  Whoa, Laura.  Less than six months between updates.  Big deal.  Even though I have nothing too earth shat...