Thanksgiving 2013. Or what we dubbed "Thanksgiving on the beach." Except there was no beach. We all decided to stuff ourselves (meaning both our bodies and our stomaches) in my house because we just can't seem to be separated. Which I think is pretty cool. I have a tendency to "hoard" so to speak, my families when they come to visit. I don't want to share them with anyone else because our time is so precious together. So I'm glad we didn't do the beach house because that would have meant I would have come back to a lonely house while everyone else was at the beach house and frankly, I'm done with lonely nights.
So no beach. Cool. Not a big deal. But there was no Nick. No Diana, who got sick the day before departure. And no Bret. So we were missing three vital figures but somehow we managed to pull of a pretty happy holiday that started with a trip to the commissary to load up on all the groceries.
The first visitors were Grandpa and Grandma, who arrived in the evening and then had to wait in a horribly long line at the base visitor's center. Audrey was literally doing backflips in my car while passing the time. Did I mention I googled hyperactivity in 3 year olds the other day?
But as soon as Grandpa walked in the door, even after a looong day of flying, he spent some time holding his grandson for the first time.
There was lots of holding babies going on during the little over 48 hours everyone was here. Audrey held Maisie.
And Grandpa held as many grandkids as he could. What a great Grandpa. Notice Maisie's teething giraffe on his chest? And this was while he watched Tangled. In its entirety.
We cooked the traditional Thanksgiving dishes, but trust me, without Nick, this meal was nothing too fancy. We did manage a prime rib to try and keep the tradition going, but my limits as a cook was obvious. One day when I grow up I WILL have a fancy Thanksgiving dinner that tastes great with fancy centerpieces and fancy plates and fancy linens. One day.
Grandpa Bill making the cut again! Love this picture. Just wish Nick could be in it showing three generations.
We headed to a park on Friday because the weather was gorgeous and everyone had to partake in this crazy swing.
The talented musician in the group, Briton, serenaded us with a melody on the playground's chimes.
And this happy little girl never stopped smiling :)
We posed for a picture but unfortunately, Audrey's panties were in a wad.
So even though the holiday was short lived, had missing people, and we ate off Chinet, I'd have to say it was a success. Because it doesn't matter where you are or what you eat, it matters who you are with (including those we FaceTimed with).
As soon as everyone left, I drank a load of coffee and started putting up Christmas decorations. I don't know how I managed to get this tree inside but its up and we are preparing for St. Nick. I'm actually surprising myself and am on the ball with Christmas pajamas for both kids. I sent this picture to Nick then realized Ethan is quite unhappy. Poor guy. He is one gassy little fellow. Such a mini Nick.






No comments:
Post a Comment