Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I don't think I've ever taken for granted the fact that we live 30 minutes away from the nation's capital and any chance we get, we venture up to DC. We've been to pretty much every single museum on the National Mall except for the Hirshhorn Museum of Contemporary Art. And yes, I had to drag Nick to someplace that had the word "contemporary" in it. After much persuasion (mainly how Audrey needs to be culturally diverse at the ripe old age of 7 months) we found ourselves in one of the most bizarre environments.

Case in point: our favorite piece of art titled "Green Curve."


Or the room with nothing but yarn strings hanging from the ceiling.

Or such abstract sculptures you had no idea what they represented.


While I guess we can say we appreciate other styles of art, this wasn't the museum to hold our interest for long. Add to the fact that I set off a few loud alarms from standing too close to the artwork and being yelled at by security guards because I accidentally left my flash on, I can confidently say this will probably be our first and last visit.

We then ventured over to the Museum of Natural History (one of my favorites) to make up for our scattered brains. They opened the new mammal exhibit and its AMAZING. We had so much fun there! Too bad I didn't get any pictures though.

Anyone out there who wants to visit DC? I will gladly be your tour guide because I could never get tired of this city, contemporary art and all.




3 comments:

Tina said...

You can take us to all the museums this fall!! Please be our guide.

Getting yelled at is not as bad as our brother-in-law actually getting escorted out of Arlington National Cemetery by security after Ryan's commissioning because he had a semi-professional camera and wore his channel 11 news shirt, the station he worked for after college. Apparently, media is permitted but only with authorization, something he did not have, even though he was just there on vacation. HAHA!

Crazy Love said...

We will be out there in June 2012...the tour guide offer still good then?

Sew Stella said...

good for you!!!

I know what you're thinking.  Whoa, Laura.  Less than six months between updates.  Big deal.  Even though I have nothing too earth shat...